Can I Claim My Parents as Dependents?

February 27, 2020

It’s tax season and we are all looking for deductions. If you are caring for your mother or father, you may be able to claim your parent as a dependent on your income taxes. This allows you to get an exemption.

You must pass the following five factors:

  1. The person you are claiming as a dependent must be a relative. Both parents and in-laws are considered relatives.
  2. Your relative must be a citizen or resident of the United States or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
  3. Your parent cannot file a joint return. If your parent is married, each must file separately UNLESS the parent is filing jointly but has no tax liability.
  4. Your parent’s gross income must not exceed the allowable exemption amount for that tax year. Gross income does not include Social Security payments or other tax-exempt income.
  5. You must provide more than half of the support for your parent during that tax year. Support includes food, lodging, clothing, education, medical and dental care, transportation and other similar necessities.

For more information on caring for aging parents, contact Stouffer Legal at 443-470-3599 in the Greater Baltimore area.

We can't wait to see you!
Today is the right day to take your first step. Click below to register for our next free workshop and learn what everyone is talking about.

Attending our next free Workshops is the best way to
Get Started on your New Estate Plan!