Will I lose my home to Medicaid if I go into a nursing home?

March 5, 2018

By - Stouffer Legal

How your house is treated by Medicaid depends upon whether or not you were married at the time you start needing nursing care. Married couples may keep one house exempt for Medicaid assets purposes as long as one spouse is living in the home. For a single person or surviving spouse, a house may be kept temporarily but if that individual ends up needing permanent nursing home care, then the home will have to be sold as part of the Medicaid qualification process. 

However, with careful advance planning one may be able to preserve some of the proceeds of the sale of the home. Also, in limited circumstances, the home may be transferred to certain relatives like a disabled adult child, long-term caretaker child or a sibling. 

Please Call (443) 470-3599 today and schedule a consultation with one of our experienced Maryland Estate Planning Attorneys to learn more about Estate or Elder Law and how we can help you.

We can't wait to see you!
Today is the right day to take your first step. Click below to register for our next free workshop and learn what everyone is talking about.

Attending our next free Workshops is the best way to
Get Started on your New Estate Plan!